Using my work

If you do use my photo's/take inspiration from anything I do please link my page and let me know! :)

Friday 8 November 2013

The Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion and Toto - Dorothy's companions. Wizard of Oz themed party!

Dorothy had three companions on her trip to Oz: Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Lion. It was imperative that they were included in the party decor. Not to mention the need to incorporate Dorothy's best friend Toto!

We've already seen how I initially introduced Dorothy's companions in the invitations and R.S.V.Ps:
http://inthehedgerows.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/invitations-and-rsvps-wizard-of-oz.html

Toto on the invitation
Dorothy's companions on the R.S.V.P
Scarecrow

The obvious way to incorporate the scarecrow was to make a scarecrow.. Unfortunately by the time I got around to making him there was very little time or money left. Added to this, I'd never made a scarecrow before...


The Scarecrow
Ok so there's definitely room for improvement but I think for a first attempt he didn't look too bad at all! Everyone thought he was brilliant!

I wanted to include the scarecrow in other ways. I knew that straw would be easy to incorporate. My first thought was straw bales for everyone to sit on but that was a little impractical. So instead I decided to create miniature straw bales and use them as sign holders.
They were so easy to make! I used an egg box and cut up kitchen roll tubes and covered them in a few layers of yellow tissue paper.


Egg box wrapped in tissue paper
The next step was incredibly messy. I covered them in straw, stuck on with a hot glue gun. This took a number of attempts to make sure that all areas were covered and no tissue paper showed through.


Covering the egg box in straw
Covering the kitchen roll tubes in straw
Once they were covered completely I tied some thin twine around the egg box to look like a bale. I cut the straw around the base of the kitchen roll tubes so it would stand, leaving the other side looking 'scruffy'. They were looking a little plain so I tied a thin red ribbon around them for extra detail. As I said before these were going to be used to hold signs so I stuffed the inside of the kitchen roll tubes with tissue paper for the sticks to go through.


Kitchen roll stuffed with tissue paper
The finished sign holders
These were really cute and easy (if a little fiddly) but they added such a nice touch to the table.

Tin Man

The tin man was my favourite of the companions to make. I thought about just having a funnel and oil can on the table but I wanted something more, so I decided to create a miniature tin man!
I collected 4 cans of the same size for the legs and body, 2 smaller cans for the arms and a squarer shaped can for the head. I had a lot of trouble finding a way to glue these together, I ended up using LOTS of hot glue and even then it wasn't very stable! The glue helped to build up a flat surface when cold so the cans could stick together. 


Tin Man under construction
Once I had the basic tin man structure I added a funnel for a hat and cut off the tip of another funnel for his nose. I had to paint the whole tin man in a metallic silver colour as the funnels were red plastic! To add a bit of character I added some adorable googly eyes.


Completed tin man
He looked so adorable on the table and was my mums favourite of the companion's decorations!

Lion

The lion was going to be the hardest thing to incorporate. I started off with a lovely (big) lion helium balloon in the garden.


Lion balloon
This could have been enough but I wanted to add something else. I found these adorable 3D lion cookie cutters on eBay:


3D Lion cookie cutters
I found that the recipe on the back of the packet made the cookie dough expand too much. I adapted a different recipe so the dough didn't expand (look out for my cupcake and cookie Wizard of Oz post). Even with the dough not expanding, it was difficult to slide all of the pieces together. When they did fit I held them together with a small amount of icing sugar.


3D Lion cookies
They looked brilliant - and tasted pretty good too! I teamed them with one of the scarecrow-inspired sign holders with 'Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!' on it.

Everyone loved the way Dorothy's companions were incorporated into the party - stay tuned for my incorporation of the 2 wicked witches and of course, the flying monkeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment